{Chocolate Mint Brownies}

Sunday, September 12, 2010


Before I give you the recipe for these scrumptious, mouth-watering delights, let me first tell you that the original recipe comes from Callie over at the wonderful blog, called Make It Do.  Check out Callie's "Famous Mint Brownies" tutorial for pictures and tips on how to get each layer silky smooth.  I've made just a couple of minor tweaks to Callie's recipe though so I'll put the recipe here (how I make it). 

Note: My version includes a cream cheese mint frosting and a small clarification on the ganache.  If you're not a cream cheese frosting-kind-of-girl (or boy) then you'll want to follow Callie's recipe for sure.

CHOCOLATE MINT BROWNIES

(Recipe for 1 1/2 times is in parenthesis)

Whisk together:
1 c. melted butter (1 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. cocoa powder (3/4 c.)

And then add:
2 c. sugar (3 c.)
4 eggs, beaten (6)
1 tsp. vanilla (1 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. salt (3/4 tsp.)

Mix well and then add:
1 1/2 c. sifted flour (2 1/4 c.)

Stir in by hand.  Do not over mix.

Pour into 9 x 13 pan sprayed with cooking spray.  If making 1 1/2 recipe pour into Baker's Half Sheet (large cookie sheet.)  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 28 minutes.  Cool for a few minutes and then place in freezer for 20 minutes.

While brownies are in the freezer make first layer of topping.

Cream Cheese Mint Frosting:
1/2 c. butter, softened 
4 oz. cream cheese, softened 
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
Green or pink food coloring (optional)

This frosting recipe will work for either the 9 x 13 or the baker's half sheet of brownies. 

Mix thoroughly.  Evenly frost brownies and put back in freezer for 20 minutes.  Make chocolate ganache top layer.

Chocolate Ganache Topping:
1/2 c. unsalted butter (3/4 c.)
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 1/4 c.)

Melt and wisk together.  (I melt them together in a Pyrex measuring bowl in the microwave for one minute.  Be careful not to overheat.  It won't look melted but once whisked it is.)  Drizzle warm chocolate over brownies and spread smooth with a spatula.  Put back in freezer for another 20 minutes.


Enjoy!
(Rae Ann,  I stole this picture from you.  You took better pictures of my brownies than I did! :)

9 comments:

  1. Oh that does sound heavenly with the cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I 1 1/2 the recipe when I made it and forgot and put it in a 9x13 instead of a sheet pan. That could have been a problem. Looks like I'll just have to try it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, you make it tough on someone trying to eat 'heart healthy'...LOL. I'm not a chocolate candy fan but I have had a weakness for brownies all my life. I do believe they are my favorite dessert. Thank you for sharing your version cause I DO love cream cheese in recipes. I'm just gonna have to try these...do I have any choice? Of course not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ambs, I make these all the time, so thanks for the great find! They're delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious - if only they came in a calorie-free version!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fantastic. I mean really they are gorgeous to look at --I can't wait to taste them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I saw these over on Rae Ann's blog -- they look fabulous. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm. Those look sinfully good. We love brownies. Will have to try these for sure.
    Thanks, Amber.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caden about melted when I showed him the picture of these beauties! I've been sworn into making these brownies soon!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber