Cherry Pickin' Baskets

Monday, August 15, 2011

I found a {new to me} blog a while back and fell in love with a basket quilt that Jolene from Blue Elephant Stitches had made.  Well, she actually made two.  This and this.  I was so inspired by the scrappy and whimsical nature of the two quilts, that I immediately started making my own basket quilt that night.  I have been wanting a "basket quilt" for quite some time and for some reason, hers just spoke to me.


I call my quilt, Cherry Pickin' Baskets because once I got going on the quilt I just knew I wanted to put this fabric on the back.  It's from the fabric line Cherry Fizz by Barb Jones for Henry Glass Co.


I was so sad though because I bought a couple yards of this backing before the quilt was finished and ended up being a little short of fabric.  When I went back to buy some more of it I found out that someone had bought the rest of the bolt that morning.  So I had to piece it.  I ended up using this herringbone fabric from my stash to supplement.


The basket pattern comes from Gwen Marstons Liberated Quiltmaking #2.


My quilt ended up being a little different than Jolene's.  I added a stop border and some of my baskets are more centered on the block.  Making the baskets was really fun, easy and super addicting though!  I had a lot of fun making it.



I did follow Jolene's idea to add a piano key border.



I have a thing for scrappy quilts and this one definitely fit the bill!


Natilie Thompson did the quilting.  I asked her to do a basic stipple so the focus would be on the baskets.  
Her contact info is: 801-787-2496 (South Jordan, UT).

Have a good day!
~Amber

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear... I LOVE this quilt! It's just beautiful.. I like pieced backings and invention is definitely the mother of invention! I'm adding yet another quilt project to my "must make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your Cherry Pickin Baskets. I like how you have them different sizes so some are at the seam line and others are an inch or two higher. It doesn't look like a repeat of each one in a production line. Did you order the pattern, or did you just come up with your own template?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your basket quilt is just so cute. I'm loving that some baskets are centered in the block and some aren't. And the piano key border is great with it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love basket quilts too Amber. Yours is so whimsical. I will check out the links to the original. Love how you personalize yours. I'm now so good at scrappy. I'm busy making back to school outfits, but anxious to get back to quilting. Your machine quilter is good. I need to find one close to me. Oh and I love the back. I often piece the back. I like the way you used the red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, this quilt is fabulous.. So love the colors. My sis would go crazy over the cherries.

    Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY (no emails), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored. Please share this with your freinds.

    Have a beautiful week.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Is that ever cute! Those are adorable baskets!!!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber